Welcome back happy crafters, to start off April 2019 I have a fun little card using a digital image from Sparkle and Sprinkle. This card has quite a few steps and require some careful assembling. If you are a beginner and would like to have a go at it, by all means. Feel free to shot me a comment if any of the instruction is unclear but I was targeting this tutorial for a intermediate crafters with some knowledge of basic card making skill, otherwise this tutorial would be too long.
I picked the colours to highlight the beauty of colouring with grey tones and how it can really emphasize the other colours in your image. Who said leaves had to green!
This card is sponsored by Sparkle and Sprinkle. I used their digital image Lovely Magnolia and created a background which I printed on an A4 cardstock. The item also comes with already coloured pink, white and yellow magnolias, you will need a colour printer for that. I also love how the digital image comes with and without leaves, so if I wanted to make a 3D image, I don't have to fiddle around to remove the leaves.
In order to make the pattern look random, I changed the size of the magnolia image as well as rotating it every time I "stamped" in my 3D Paint software on Windows. I have also tried a similar method with Adobe Illustrator but did not like the result as much. I will need to practice more on that software.
After printing it out on my Laser printer, I colour the flowers with ZIG REAL BRUSH PEN in the colour of Light Grey, Flesh Colour, Light Carmine, and Grey Brown. I then used a water brush to soften the edges on the Flesh colour on the petals. For the leaves,
I started with the light Light Grey then drew a shadow near the petals with the darker grey, Grey Brown. I used the Light Grey to go over the leaf again and soften out the harsh line, allowing the colours to blend. I coloured the stamens with Light Carmine to give it a pop of brightness.
When the flowers were completely dry, I used my FRISKER cutter to trim the piece to 4.5 by 4.5 inches. Then I used MY FAVORITE THINGS Stitched Square Frames die to cut out 3 square frames. I used the largest and smallest dies in the set. I wanted a large middle frame and using the middle sized frame would give me too many slimmer frames. I used some purple tape to hold everything together while it went through the machine and die cut another 3 frames with the dies from scrap cardstock.
To assemble the card, I cut a piece of clear acetate at 4 by 4 inches. I adhered it to the back of the first stitched frame. Then using the 2nd largest scrap frame as a guide, which I placed inside the 1st stitched square, I adhered the 2nd stitched frame. Making sure that the overall image was still in the right orientation.
I cut myself a 9 by 4.5-inch white cardstock and scored it in the middle to make a square card. I adhered the outermost frame, then used the scrap stitched frame as a guide to adhere the remaining frames and the final square in the middle. I used liquid glue and keep using the acetate adhered frames to check for spacing and orientation of the background.
Because I could not find a 1/4 inch foam tape, I made mine from cutting my foam sheet into strips and adhering them together to make them a little taller. I made enough to go around both the stitched square frames.
I made sure there were no gaps at the joints and was careful not to let the foam strips fold or bend upwards. I then adhered it to the card, where the white places were visible from the stitch frames. I then added a thin 1/4 inch white cardstock strip to the sides on the larger foam square to make the project need from every angle. On the underside of the stitched frame, I added double sided tape to both the frames on the acetate.
The double shaker element is having the smaller shaker compartment within the bigger shaker frame. You could also add a special trinkle such as a charm or different types of sequins to make the smaller shaker standout.
When the glue dried on the foam, I chose some sequins, beads and glitter. I filled the squares separately and made sure there were no gaps in the foam. Before putting the acetate cover on, I carefully dusted the top in the foam to remove any glitter, then adhered it down.
Lastly, for the sentiment, I chose "congratulations" from THE TON, Special Day Lanterns. I started with ARCHIVAL INK Shadow Grey then used a wet wipe stained with some Onyx black and dabbed along the bottom edge of the sentiment, giving it an ombre effect. I then fussy cut around the word and adhered it with some liquid adhesive.
One last look at the finished card. I also made other cards with the remaining of the coloured pattern paper. I don't have a tutorial for them but drop me a comment if you are interested to know how to make them. Hope you like the cards.
For more ideas and inspiration, do visit
and share your creations on our facebook page #aperfecttimetocraftchallenge. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
Thank you for taking your time to visit my blog.